David E. Gluckman
David is an Associate in the Immigration Practice Group. He advises businesses and individuals on short- and long-term U.S. immigration options, and works directly with clients to navigate them through the legal and emotional challenges U.S. immigration law poses.
David's diverse immigration practice encompasses the following areas:
- Temporary visa petitions and applications (such as B-1, H-1B, E, L-1, R-1, TN, and others);
- Family-based visa petitions and green card applications;
- Employment-based visa petitions and green card applications, including PERM labor certification, outstanding researcher/professor, extraordinary ability, multinational manager/executive, and National Interest Waiver cases;
- Consular processing;
- Advice to non-citizens on the immigration consequences of criminal charges and convictions;
- Immigration appeals before the Board of Immigration Appeals, the Board of Alien Labor Certification Appeals, and Federal District Courts and Circuit Courts of Appeals.
David began his legal career as an immigration paralegal and continued to work as an immigration law clerk while attending the University of Richmond School of Law, from which he graduated summa cum laude. He spent the first few years after law school representing companies in civil litigation and now uses his advocacy skills on behalf of clients applying for U.S. immigration benefits.
- 2015 Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Star
- McNeill Law Society
- University of Richmond Law Review
- Moot Court Board
- Trial Advocacy Board
- Client Counseling and Negotiation Board
- Order of the Barristers
- Phi Beta Kappa
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
Publications and Presentations
- Presenter, NAFSA Virginia International Educators Spring 2015 Conference, Say It Ain’t So: A Slap on the Wrist Can Get You Booted Out (Apr. 10, 2015) (providing overview for educators of the immigration consequences of criminal convictions)
- Author, Expiring Green Cards: Help!, ILW.com, Apr. 24, 2014, http://discuss.ilw.com/content.php?3065-Article-EXPIRING-GREEN-CARDS-HELP!
- Presenter, Virginia State Bar/Virginia CLE 44th Annual Criminal Law Seminar, Immigration Issues: How to Avoid the Road Home (Feb. 7 & 14, 2014) (regarding the immigration consequences of criminal convictions).
- Moderator, American Immigration Lawyers Association, D.C. Chapter Fall Conference, Let It Ride: Appeals and Federal Litigation (Nov. 13, 2013).
- Presenter, Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Fall CLE, Crimmigration Law: When Something Is What It Isn’t (Oct. 25, 2013) (regarding the immigration consequences of criminal convictions).
- De-compressing & De-stressing Ability to Pay, in Am. Immigration Lawyers Ass’n, 4 Inside Immigration, Issue 2 (2013).
- Co-Author, Termination of H-1B Employment: End of the Road?, ILW.com, Oct. 8, 2012, http://discuss.ilw.com/content.php?640-Article-Termination-of-H-1B-Employment-End-of-the-Road-by-David-E-Gluckman-and-Jonathan-L-Moore.
- Co-Author, How Do You Solve a Problem Like ACWIA? Prevailing Wage Conundrums for Academics and Researchers, in Am. Immigration Lawyers Ass'n, Immigration Options for Academics & Researchers 147, 147-59 (Dan H. Berger & Rita Sostrin eds., 2d ed. 2011).
- Co-Author, Supreme Court Year in Review, 22 J. Civil Litig. 561 (2011).
- Co-Author, Yes, They Matter: Recent "Commonwealth Cases" Every Civil Practitioner Should Know, 22 J. Civil Litig. 197 (2010).
- Co-Author, Supreme Court Year in Review, 21 J. Civil Litig. 471 (2009).
- Co-Author, To Object or Not to Object? An Exception to the Contemporaneous-Objection Rule, Certworthy, Summer 2008, at 1.
1111 East Main Street
P.O. Box 796
Richmond, Virginia 23218-0796
call (804) 775-3826
fax (804) 775-3800
- University of Richmond, J.D., summa cum laude, 2008
- Clark University, B.A., Economics and French, summa cum laude, 2002
- Virginia, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia, 2010