Emily W. Mathews
Emily is an Associate in the Litigation Practice Group. Her practice is concentrated on representing employers and carriers in the area of workers’ compensation before the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission and the Court of Appeals of Virginia. Emily regularly advises employers and carriers on all aspects of litigation, settlement, appeal and mediation of workers’ compensation matters.
She earned her J.D. at the University of Virginia School of Law where she gained practical experience in the Family Resource Clinic, representing clients in matters involving the Department of Medical Assistance Services, the Social Security Administration, and the Virginia Department of Social Services. She also represented clients in the Criminal Defense Clinic and appeared in the Charlottesville and Albemarle General District Courts.
Prior to joining McCandlish Holton, Emily had the privilege of clerking for the Hon. William O’Brien, Hon. A. Bonwill Shockley, and Hon. Patricia West in the Virginia Beach Circuit Court.
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Virginia Journal of Social Policy and the Law, Editorial Board and Articles Review Board
Professional and Community Involvement
- Richmond Bar Association, Member
- Virginia Bar Association, Member
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, Member
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Member
- Virginia Workers’ Compensation American Inn of Court, Member
- The Lewis F. Powell, Jr. American Inn of Court, Member
1111 East Main Street
P.O. Box 796
Richmond, Virginia 23218-0796
call (804) 775-3899
fax (804) 775-7230
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- Wake Forest University, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa