Gail M. Deady
Gail is a member of the litigation, bankruptcy and creditor’s rights, and family law practice groups. She regularly represents corporations, financial institutions, and insurance companies in tort defense, creditor’s rights, bankruptcy, and commercial matters in Virginia federal and state courts. Gail also represents clients in divorce matters.
Gail has extensive court experience and has conducted numerous trials in Virginia Circuit and General District Courts. Gail has had particular success in her federal and state court motions practice.
As a law student, Gail served as Articles Editor of the Washington and Lee Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice, and as President of the Women Law Students Organization. Using the Third Year Practice Certificate, Gail also represented indigent clients in consumer rights, housing, and domestic relations matters in Virginia state courts as an intern at Central Virginia Legal Aid Society. Gail continues to provide pro bono legal representation to residents of Central Virginia in no-fault divorce and domestic violence protective order matters, and is a member of the Richmond Bar Association Pro Bono Committee.
Gail’s representative experience includes:
• Defense counsel for transportation carrier in $1.5 million personal injury lawsuit and assumed primary drafting responsibility for several successful motions, including a Daubert Motion to exclude the plaintiff’s liability expert and a Motion to Dismiss for Fraud on the Court. Call v. Harrison, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 170415 (W.D. Va. Nov. 30, 2012).
• Defense counsel for several Fortune 500 corporations in personal injury lawsuits, including a $10 million product liability lawsuit and multiple traumatic brain injury lawsuits; assumed primary drafting responsibility for several evidentiary, procedural, and dispositive motions filed in state and federal courts.
• Counsel for international carpet manufacturer in $1.2 million contract performance dispute.
• Defense counsel for real estate investor in breach of contract and civil conspiracy lawsuit.
• Counsel for real estate investor damages claimants in complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
• Counsel for Virginia financial institution in adversary proceeding in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, as well as several commercial lending matters in Virginia state courts.
• Counsel for Fortune 500 corporation regarding potential consumer claims under the Truth in Lending Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Virginia Consumer Protection Act, and various provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code regarding automobile sales and financing agreements.
• Defense counsel for insurance companies in state court automobile liability lawsuits.
- Washington and Lee Outstanding Woman Law Student, 2011
- Virginia State Bar Association Family Law Award, 2011
Professional and Community Involvement
- Richmond Bar Association, Pro Bono Committee
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Editor, Docket Call, Newsletter of the Young Lawyers Conference of the Virginia State Bar
- Volunteer Attorney, Central Virginia Legal Aid Society
- Phi Alpha Delta
Publications and Presentations
- Co-Author, Attorney Blogs in the Wake of Hunter v. Virginia State Bar, Virginia State Bar Litigation Section Newsletter (forthcoming)
- Co-Author, When the Opposition Cheats: Remedies Before and After Verdict, DEFENSE COUNSEL JOURNAL (forthcoming)
- Author, PACER: A Legal Research Tool? Docket Call, Summer 2013
- Author, The Girl Next Door: A Comparative Approach to Prostitution Laws and Sex Trafficking Victim Identification Within the Prostitution Industry, 17 WASH. & LEE J. C. R. & SOC. JUST. 515 (2011).
1111 East Main Street
P.O. Box 796
Richmond, Virginia 23218-0796
call (804) 775-3828
fax (804) 819-1176
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2011
The College of William and Mary, B.A., cum laude, 2005
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia