Gail M. Deady
Gail is a member of the litigation, bankruptcy, and family law practice groups. She regularly represents businesses, financial institutions, and insurance companies in tort defense, creditor’s rights, bankruptcy, and commercial litigation in Virginia federal and state courts. Gail also represents clients in divorce matters.
Gail has extensive court experience and has conducted numerous trials in Virginia Circuit and General District Courts. Gail has had particular success in her federal and state court motions practice, frequently obtaining favorable results on procedural and evidentiary issues.
As a law student, Gail served as Articles Editor of the Washington and Lee Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice, and as President of the Women Law Students Organization. Using the Third Year Practice Certificate, Gail also represented indigent clients in consumer’s rights, housing, and domestic relations matters in Virginia state courts as an intern at Central Virginia Legal Aid Society. Gail continues to provide pro bono legal representation to residents of Central Virginia in no-fault divorce cases, and is a member of the Richmond Bar Association Pro Bono Committee.
- Outstanding Woman Law Student for the Class of 2011
- Virginia State Bar Association Family Law Award, 2011
Professional and Community Involvement
- Richmond Bar Association, Pro Bono Committee
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Editor, Docket Call, Newsletter of the Young Lawyers Conference of the Virginia State Bar
- Volunteer Attorney, Central Virginia Legal Aid Society
Phi Alpha Delta
Publications and Presentations
- Author, “PACER: A Legal Research Tool?” Docket Call, Summer 2013\
- Co-Author, “When the Opposition Cheats: Remedies Before and After Verdict” Defense Counsel Journal (forthcoming)
- Obtained dismissal, with prejudice, on behalf of transportation carrier in $1.5 million personal injury lawsuit and assumed primary drafting responsibility for several successful dispositive motions, including a Daubert Motion to exclude the plaintiff’s liability expert and a Motion to Dismiss for discovery abuse. Call v. Harrison, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 170415 (W.D. Va. Nov. 30, 2012).
- Defense counsel for Fortune 500 corporation in several personal injury lawsuits, including a $10 million product liability lawsuit and two traumatic brain injury lawsuits, and assumed primary drafting responsibility for several evidentiary motions filed in U.S. District Courts.
- Counsel for international carpet manufacturer in $1.2 million contract performance dispute and assumed primary responsibility for finalizing negotiations and drafting settlement agreement.
- Counsel for real estate investor damages claimants in complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, and assumed primary drafting responsibility for a Motion to Amend that resulted in a settlement uniquely favorable to clients.
- Counsel for Virginia financial institution in adversary proceeding in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia arising from a faulty Deed of Trust, as well as several commercial lending matters in Virginia state courts.
- Counsel for Fortune 500 corporation regarding potential consumer claims under the Truth in Lending Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Virginia Consumer Protection Act, and various provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code regarding automobile sales and financing agreements.
- Successfully drafted and argued a Motion in Limine to exclude defendant’s alleged alcohol consumption in contested liability automobile accident case.
- Successfully drafted and argued a Motion in Limine to exclude a plaintiff’s medical experts in an admitted bodily injury case, resulting in a settlement significantly less than the plaintiff’s medical expenses.
1111 East Main Street
P.O. Box 796
Richmond, Virginia 23218-0796
call (804) 775-3828
fax (804) 819-1176
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2011
The College of William and Mary, B.A., History, 2005
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia