J. Matthew Haynes, Jr.
Matthew represents corporations, small businesses and individuals in state and federal courts throughout Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. Matthew’s primary practice areas include premises liability and security, retail/restaurant liability, transportation/trucking, products liability, construction litigation and insurance coverage.
Recent successful cases handled by Matthew include the following:
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an interstate trucking company and its driver in a $1.5M personal injury suit pending in the U.S.D.C. Western District of Virginia arising out of a failed drive shaft.
- Successfully defended a $1M mild traumatic brain injury claim that resulted in nominal settlement on the eve of a scheduled four day jury trial.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a national restaurant chain in a premises liability jury trial.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a premises liability jury trial on behalf of a global warehouse retailer.
- Drafted and successfully argued a plea in bar in a construction defect suit which resulted in the dismissal with prejudice of the general contractor.
- Obtained a $10,000 jury verdict in an admitted liability personal injury automobile accident case where the plaintiff's undisputed medical bills totaled more than $9,000.
- Obtained a $3,000 jury verdict in an admitted liability personal injury automobile accident case where the plaintiff's claimed medical bills totaled in excess of $15,000.
- Drafted and successfully argued a motion for summary judgement on behalf of a global warehouse retailer in a $750,000 personal injury action in federal district court and prevailed on appeal to the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Professional and Community Involvement
Defense Research Institute (DRI):
- Committee Member - Trucking Law
- Committee Member - Construction Law
- Editor - The Critical Path DRI's on-line quarterly construction law newsletter
- Richmond Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia's Legal Elite 2006
- Birmingham Bar Association Pro Bono Honor Roll 2001
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author, "Keeping out the Plaintiff's PET," Journal of Civil Litigation (Spring 2006)
Author, Virginia Section of "Construction Litigation Desk Reference--A Fifty State Guide to Construction Litigation", DRI Defense Library Series, September 2009
1111 East Main Street
P.O. Box 796
Richmond, Virginia 23218-0796
call (804) 775-3809
fax (804) 775-3800
- Hampden-Sydney College, B.A., 1997
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D., 2000
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Middle and Northern Districts of Alabama