James W. Morris
James W. (“Jimmy”) Morris, III was born in Richmond, Virginia. He performed his undergraduate study at Randolph-Macon College and the Virginia Military Institute. He earned his law degree from the University of Richmond School of Law.
Mr. Morris has written and spoken extensively on legal topics before a variety of organizations, including, “Defending Products Liability Claims,” for the Defense Research Institute; “Sources of Proof” for the Virginia State Bar; “Expert Witnesses,” for the Defense Research Institute; “Opening Statements” for the Virginia Trial Lawyers’ Association; “Product Liability Evidentiary Issues,” DRI; “Trial Tactics, Depositions,” for the Virginia Trial Lawyers’ Association, the Virginia State Bar, The Bar Association of the City of Richmond, the IADC and has lectured on trial practice at the Law Schools of the University of Virginia and the University of Richmond.
In September 1991, Jimmy Morris was identified by the National Law Journal as one of the 11 top third-party (tort liability) defense trial lawyers in the United States. He has also been included in the publication The Best Lawyers in America from its inception and is currently listed for both business and personal injury litigation. Based on a poll of his peers, he is regularly identified as one of the “elite” trial lawyers in Virginia in Virginia Business Magazine. He is named one of the “Top Ten SuperLawyers” in Virginia by Richmond Magazine and the SuperLawyers of America. He is listed in the Chambers’ legal publication as a leading lawyer.
Mr. Morris was presented the Award for Excellence in Civil Litigation by the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys in 1995. He was presented the Hunter W. Martin Professionalism Award by the Bar Association of the City of Richmond in 2005. He has tried over 500 cases to jury verdict in his career.
Mr. Morris’ practice area is civil litigation.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Richmond Bar Association (President, 1998-1999)
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys (President, 1973-1976)
- Defense Research Institute (President, 1988-1989; Chairman of the Board, 1989-1990)
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Former Member, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Former Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- U.S. Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference (Fellow, Permanent Member)
- Fellow, Virginia Bar Association
- Fellow, American Bar Association
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (President, 2004-2005)
- Lawyers for Civil Justice (Board, 1989-1996)
- Product Liability Advisory Council (Board, 1988-1991)
- Supreme Court Historical Society (Board of Governors, (1998 - ) Executive Committee (2005 - ))
- John Marshall Foundation (Vice President 2006-2008;President 2008- )
1111 East Main Street
P.O. Box 796
Richmond, Virginia 23218-0796
call (804) 344-6301
fax (804) 344-8359
University of Richmond School of Law
Virginia Military Institute
U.S. District/Appellate Courts, Virginia/Fourth Circuit