Jonathan L. Moore
Jonathan is an Associate in the Immigration Practice Group. He advises businesses and individuals on U.S. immigration options and advocates on their behalf before federal government agencies and courts. His practice focuses on:
- Employment-based visa petitions and green card applications, including the preparation of PERM labor certification applications, audit responses, and appeals before the Board of Alien Labor Certification Appeals, as well as outstanding researcher/professor, extraordinary ability, multinational manager/executive, and National Interest Waiver cases;
- Temporary visa petitions and applications (such as H-1B, O-1, E, L-1, and others);
- I-9 compliance, including audits to assess employer compliance and assisting employers with government I-9 audits/investigations;
- Family-based visa petitions and green card applications; and
- Open government, including litigation when needed to vindicate clients’ rights to information from federal agencies under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
While in law school, Jonathan honed many skills that he now puts into practice for clients. He served as a Manuscripts Editor of the University of Richmond Law Review and authored several articles that have appeared in nationally-recognized publications. He was also an avid participant in a variety of activities outside the classroom, where he won both negotiation and trial advocacy competitions.
After graduating first in his law school class, Jonathan spent the first two years of his practice representing companies in civil litigation. He now brings these advocacy skills to bear on behalf of clients’ immigration needs.
- 2015 Readers’ Choice List for Lawyers, Richmond Times-Dispatch
- Class Rank: 1 / 153
- Manuscripts Editor, University of Richmond Law Review
- McNeill Law Society
- Client Counseling and Negotiation Board
- Moot Court Board
- Trial Advocacy Board
- J. Westwood Smithers Medal (graduate with the highest cumulative GPA)
- William S. Cudlipp Medal (highest GPA at end of second year)
- T.C. Williams Law School Scholarship Award
Pro Bono Certificate
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
Richmond Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Section, Executive Committee Member
Publications and Presentations
- Analyzing and Documenting the Reasonableness of On-the-Job Training in PERM Cases, 20 Bender's Immigration Bulletin 1085 (Oct. 1, 2015)
- The PERM Request for Reconsideration: Tips and Strategies for Supporting Evidence, 20 Bender’s Immigration Bulletin 173 (Feb. 15, 2015)
- The PERM Appeal File: Foundation for Appellate Success, AILA’s VOICE, July-Aug. 2013.
- Decoding DOL’s ‘Default’ Prevailing Wage Rate, AILA’s VOICE, May-June 2013.
- Co-Author, Termination of H-1B Employment: End of the Road?, ILW.com, Oct. 8, 2012, http://discuss.ilw.com/content.php?640-Article-Termination-of-H-1B-Employment-End-of-the-Road-by-David-E-Gluckman-and-Jonathan-L-Moore.
- Getting Queued Up: The Nuts and Bolts of “Government Error” Motions, AILA’s VOICE, May-June 2012.
- Co-Author, How Do You Solve a Problem Like ACWIA? Prevailing Wage Conundrums for Academics and Researchers, in IMMIGRATION OPTIONS FOR ACADEMICS AND RESEARCHERS (AILA 2d ed. 2011).
- Co-Author, Methodology Chapter, THE DAUBERT COMPENDIUM (DRI) (2011).
- Particularizing Patent Pleading: Pleading Patent Infringement in a Post-Twombly World, 18 TEX. INTELL. PROP. L.J. 451 (2010).
- Time for an Upgrade: Amending the Federal Rules of Evidence to Address the Challenges of Electronically Stored Information in Civil Litigation, 50 JURIMETRICS 147 (2010).
- A Patent Panacea? The Promise of Corbinized Claim Construction, 9 CHI.-KENT J. INTELL. PROP. 1 (2010).
- Co-Author, Knowing the Players: The “Who’s Who” of Young Associate Marketing, THE WHISPER (DRI), Apr. 2010.
1111 East Main Street
P.O. Box 796
Richmond, Virginia 23218-0796
call (804) 775-7227
fax (804) 775-3800
- University of Richmond, J.D., summa cum laude, 2009
University of Virginia, B.A., Government and History, 2006
- Virginia, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia, 2010
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2013